CIO Concern Management
CIO concerns are constantly changing but the solutions are always centered around three factors: technology, infrastructure and people
Janco has found that the top 10 concerns have been the same for several years. The only difference is the ranking in importance has varied. In the most recent analysis Janco sees that security has moved to the top spot.
The top 10 concerns all relate to the three areas:
- Security - as more instances of cyber-attacks are identified CIOs are well aware that their jobs are at risk if this occurs under their watch
- Cloud Computing - This is the new hidden IT that is driving many new applications and is not under the complete control of the CIO and IT organization.
- Infrastructure - No longer are those interacting with the data and systems in a single location utilizing standard hardware and software. Records management, retention and destruction as well as version control are just a few of the areas that CIOs need to manage and control.
- Consolidation - Islands of data and computing continue to exist as new technologies are implemented. Redundancy leads to disparate information and needs to be resolved.
- Big Data - As data is consolidated it needs to be analyzed more quickly so that decision making within the enterprise is improved.
- Automation - Traditional functions are now being eliminated and automation needs to take placed which will meet the strategic objectives of the enterprise.
- Mobile Computing - BYOD and mobile applications are where users are looking for support in order to improve their bottom line results.
- Staff Retention - During the past few years that has not been an issue but now with an improved IT job market staff will leave.
- Social Networks - This is the wave of the future and needs to be managed more effectively.
- Succession Planning - Not only for the CIO role but for all of the other key roles within the IT functions. Job family definition is now a priority.
Managing the CIO and CTO Concerns
Janco has created a kit that contains tools which help an enterprise more easily manage each of the CIO concerns. The CIO Concern Management Toolkit is provided in MS WORD and PDF formats and includes the following:
- Security Manual Template
- How to Guide for Cloud Processing and Outsourcing
- IT Job Family Classification HandiGuide
- Over 270 Job Descriptions
- Interview and Hiring Guide
- Latest IT Salary Survey
- CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle plus Electronic Forms
- Business and IT Impact Questionnaire
- Vulnerability and Threat Assessment Tool
The kit can be ordered with or with out Janco's subscription update service or any of the kit components can be ordered individually.