CTO - CIO Management Articles
Security, Disaster Planning, ITSM, Metrics, and Salary Survey
The CTO Toolkits News feed is an XML news feed that you can subscribe to and re-publish on your web site or blog. The only requirement that you need to meet is that the feed is included with no modifications and that the links within the feed are retained as is.
The XML newsfeed is:
Windows systems more likely to be hacked than Andriod
Patch management and change control polices and procedures are the nemesis of IT executives around the world
The first important step in a patch management operation is to know when there is a need for a patch to be made. A patch management policy should have a section detailing what must be done to ensure the security personnel know what to do in this situation.
In the latest round of hacking, systems hacked were still running on Windows XP. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP with updates in early 2014, leaving many vulnerable to the last three years of new malware.
Google follows a different philosophy with its old operating systems. Since 2015, Android users going all the way back to version 4.4 receive monthly security updates, covering more than 735 million devices.
So while a person using a Samsung Galaxy Note S3 might not get the latest features like Google Assistant, they're still protected from security flaws through Google's support.
It's why when WikiLeaks claimed it released the CIA's Android exploits, Google came out and said it had already patched the vulnerabilities. Companies like Samsung and BlackBerry also offer their own regular security updates.Windows systems more likely to be hacked than Andriod
Telecommuters Internet Misuse Costly
Telecommuters Internet misuse is costly to enterprises
Internet misuse can have serious implications for enterprises:
Telecommuters Internet Misuse Costly
- Reduced productivity. If employees spend their time on a social networking sites such as Facebook, theyre not spending it doing their job.
- Security problems. Malware hides on websites and can install itself as users browse infected pages.
- Legal risks. When users download inappropriate material to their computers other employees may take serious offense which in turn can create legal liabilities for managers.
- Wasted bandwidth. Internet connections cost money. If half your bandwidth is taken up with non-work relatd web traffic, you could potentially be paying significaltly more for business-critical communications and/or could be running at degregated speeds.
- Unlicensed software. When users download and install software from the internet, they create a legal risk. Software piracy is illegal. If an organization uses illegal copies of software, it may face a civil suit and company directors risk criminal penalties.
- Reputation risk. Social networking can create opportunities for employees to leak confidential information or spread damaging rumors online. Bad behavior by a single employee can reflect on the reputation of the whole organization.
Updated SOX White Paper
Sarbanes-Oxley White Paper Updated
Janco has just updated its Sarbanes Oxley White Paper to reflect the specific responsibilities of the C-Level executives. It is seven fact filled pages that are a must read for everyone dealing with critical enterprise data - both electronic and paper.Updated SOX White Paper
Articles on the lastest IT Hot Jobs
Hot Jobs in the IT Job Market
- Articles on the lastest IT Hot Jobs
- Digital Brand Manager Technology skills required for many mainstream roles Digital Brand Manager hot new job Digital Brand Manager commands a $130K to $140K starting salary The Digital Brand Manager is responsible for the total...
- Chief Digital Officer now is need in enterprises to leverage digital data Chief Digital Officer (CDO) now is needed to leverage digital strategy Chief Digital Officers (CDO) time is now. CIOs understand that digital is central to their...
- Is It Time To Appoint a Chief Mobility Officer Is the time right to create a Chief Mobility Officer position The time has arrived to legitimize and define the role of the chief...
- Is a Chief Mobility Officer necessary Chief Mobility Officer now almost a necessity The idea of a company having a chief mobility officer is not a new one. But as...
- 10 hot new jobs in IT 10 Hot New Jobs in IT As technology changes new jobs titles are appearing in IT. The 10 hot new jobs that have high demand...
IoT Infrastructure Challenges are more complex than many CIO think
For years, the Internet of Things has represented tantalizing possibility for enterprise technology leaders. But the same confluence of factors that position IoT as a tool of strategic advantage - actionable consumer data, greater efficiencies and process improvement, a paved path to innovation - also pose major challenges. Cybersecurity threats, consumer privacy concerns and mountains of unprocessed information can derail these initiatives before they start. While opportunities still abound through IoT, CIOs must first build a clear roadmap to unlocking its full potential.IoT Challenges