CIO Concern Management - Focus of IT Efforts
CIO concerns are constantly changing but the solutions are always centered around three factors: technology, infrastructure and people
CIO Concern Management where the focus is - CIO Concern Management is centered around the challenges of the major issues of the day. Security and protection against hacking top the list of focus areas. That is followed by the need to address blockchain applications and cloud accesses, protection, and application processing.
The toolkit that address all of those need. CIOs and CTOs are in a constantly evolving field, however world class CIOs and CTOs focus on three areas to help them manage more effectively. They are:
Janco has found that the top 10 concerns have been the same for several years. The only difference is the ranking in importance has varied. In the most recent analysis Janco sees that security and protection from hacking has moved to the top spot.
Top CIO Concerns 2019
The top 10 concerns are the areas of focus for CIO and enterprises:
- Security and Hacking - as more instances of cyber-attacks are identified CIOs are well aware that their jobs are at risk if this occurs under their watch
- Blockchain, ERP, and Cloud Computing - This is the new hidden IT that is driving many new applications and is not under the complete control of the CIO and IT organization.
- Staffing - During the past few years that has not been an issue but now with an improved IT job market new staff needs to be added and at the same time staff turnover will increase.
- Mobile Computing - BYOD and mobile applications are where users are looking for support in order to improve their bottom line results.
- Standardization and Integration Infrastructure - No longer are those interacting with the data and systems in a single location utilizing standard hardware and software. Records management, retention, and destruction as well as version control are just a few of the areas that CIOs need to manage and control.
- Access Management - With the increase in access points to data and confidential enterprise assets there is a need for more enciphering and access protection.
- Identity Protection - With the availability of more information on individuals and enterprises there are more opportunities for bad actors to capture enough information that the can build profiles with can then be used in detriment to both individuals and enterprises.
- Budget Management - There are two ways to control budgets. First spending can be limited. Second productivity can be improved both within IT and the operational units of an enterprise.
- SaaS Demand - Mainframe processing no longer is the best choice as core legacy application can be purchased and maintained by others
- International Compliance - With the onset of new compliance requirements like GDPR for the EU more rules will have to be implemented with businesses which operate outside of the US.
There also are a number of secondary issues that CIOs focus on as they are concerns of other C-Level executives and the Board of Directors.
- Consolidation - Islands of data and computing continue to exist as new technologies are implemented. Redundancy leads to disparate information and needs to be resolved.
- Big Data - As data is consolidated it needs to be analyzed more quickly so that decision making within the enterprise is improved.
- Automation - Traditional functions are now being eliminated and automation needs to take place which meet the strategic objectives of the enterprise.
- Social Networks - This is the wave of the future and needs to be managed more effectively.
- Succession Planning - Not only for the CIO role but for all of the other key roles within the IT functions. Job family definition is now a priority.
Managing the CIO and CTO Concerns
Janco has created a kit that contains tools which help an enterprise more easily manage each of the CIO concerns. The CIO Concern Management Toolkit is provided in MS WORD and PDF formats and includes the following:
- Security Manual Template
- How to Guide for Cloud Processing and Outsourcing
- IT Job Family Classification HandiGuide
- Over 310 Job Descriptions
- Interview and Hiring Guide
- Latest IT Salary Survey
- CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle plus Electronic Forms
- Business and IT Impact Questionnaire
- Vulnerability and Threat Assessment Tool
The kit can be ordered with or with out Janco's subscription update service or any of the kit components can be ordered individually.