CIO Shifting Priorities- Focus of IT Efforts
CIO priorities are constantly changing but the focus is always centered around three factors: technology, infrastructure and people
CIO priority Management where the focus is - CIO's Management focus is centered around the challenges of the major issues of the day. Security and protection against hacking top the list of focus areas. That is followed by the need to address blockchain applications and cloud accesses, protection, and application processing.
The toolkit that address all of those need. CIOs and CTOs are in a constantly evolving field, however world class CIOs and CTOs focus on three areas to help them manage more effectively. They are:
Janco has found that the top 10 priorities and concerns have been the same for several years. The only difference is the ranking in importance has varied. In the most recent analysis Janco sees that security and protection from hacking has moved to the top spot.
Top CIO Management and Planning Priorities - 2022
The top 10 concerns are the areas of focus for CIO and enterprises:
- Security and Hacking - Internal and external threats are on the increase, especially as enterprises continue to increase the growth of mobile and wireless based applications.
- Staffing - That was the top priority in January at 95% saying it was a priority versus 63% in 2021.
- Identity Protection - Protection of user identities who access the enterprise's IT infrastructure
- Access Management - Network management and control now have an even greater role than before. In 2021, 67% of the individual interviewed placed that in the top ten. Now it is priority for 70%.
- Mobile Computing - Mobile and end user computing require applications to be outward facing, functional on a myriad of devices, and user friendly for WFH staffers. Now is a priority for 70% of the interviewees versus 67% in 2021.
- Work From Home - Was not even on the radar before the pandemic and continues to remain in the top 10.
- Budget Management - Important as inflation takes off and the recovery from the pandemic takes hold
- Compliance - With the expansion of the infrastructure to address eCommerce and WFH this is a major issue
- Skills for New Technologies - Along with staffing this now is a top 10 priority. The focus has shifted from new technologies except in the areas associated with the remote workforce
- Data Privacy - With the rise of WFH, GDPR and CCPA data privacy is a top ten priority
Updated with the latest CIO priorities
Top 10 CIO Priorities - during the pandemic
The top 10 list was compiled by Janco Associates in concert with its on-going IT Salary Survey interviews. The top 10 priorities and concerns are the areas of focus for CIOs and enterprise priorities based on Janco's surveys:
- Staffing - Recruiting new staff is the highest priority as companies re-open. Limited new development aside from WFH support and mobile computing is taking place.
- Security and Hacking - as more instances of cyberattacks are identified CIOs are well aware that their jobs are at risk if this occurs under their watch
- Identity Protection - With the availability of more information on individuals and enterprises there are more opportunities for bad actors to capture enough information that they can build profiles with can then be used to the detriment of both individuals and enterprises.
- Access Management - With the increase in access points to data and confidential enterprise assets there is a need for more enciphering and access protection.
- Mobile Computing - BYOD and mobile applications are where users are looking for support in order to improve their bottom-line results.
- Work From Home Support - WFH is a viable option for many organizations and WFH support now is the top priority for over 90% of CIOs surveyed
- Budget Management - There are two ways to control budgets. First spending can be limited. Second productivity can be improved both within IT and the operational units of an enterprise.
- Compliance - With WFH and compliance requirements like GDPR for the EU more rules will have to be implemented with businesses that operate outside of the US.
- Skills for new Technology including Blockchain, ERP, and Cloud Computing - This is the new hidden IT that is driving many new applications and is not under the complete control of the CIO and IT organization.
- Data Privacy via Standardization and Integration Infrastructure - No longer are those interacting with the data and systems in a single location utilizing standard hardware and software. Records management, retention, and destruction as well as version control are just a few of the areas that CIOs need to manage and control.
There also are a number of secondary issues that CIOs focus on as they are concerns of other C-Level executives and the Board of Directors.
- Consolidation - Islands of data and computing continue to exist as new technologies are implemented. Redundancy leads to disparate information and needs to be resolved.
- Big Data - As data is consolidated it needs to be analyzed more quickly so that decision making within the enterprise is improved.
- Automation - Traditional functions are now being eliminated and automation needs to take place which meet the strategic objectives of the enterprise.
- Social Networks - This is the wave of the future and needs to be managed more effectively.
- Succession Planning - Not only for the CIO role but for all of the other key roles within the IT functions. Job family definition is now a priority.
Managing the CIO and CTO Concerns
Janco has created a kit that contains tools which help an enterprise more easily manage each of the CIO concerns. The IT Management Tool Kit is provided in MS WORD and PDF formats and includes the following:
- Security Manual Template
- How to Guide for Cloud Processing and Outsourcing
- IT Job Family Classification HandiGuide
- Over 320 Job Descriptions
- Interview and Hiring Guide
- Latest IT Salary Survey
- CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle plus Electronic Forms
- Business and IT Impact Questionnaire
- Vulnerability and Threat Assessment Tool
The kit can be ordered with or with out Janco's subscription update service or any of the kit components can be ordered individually.