Job market for IT professionals improved slightly in May
10,000 job were added to the IT sector or 18.5% of the total job growth
Job market for IT pros improved. The June 2011 BLS report shows an increase of 10,000 IT related jobs in May. Janco Associates in association with eJobDescription.com analyzed the recent data and confirmed that since January there has been an up-trend in the number of individuals employed in IT jobs. The greatest increase, as a percentage, has been in jobs that are related to the IT support functions as companies are beginning to hire staff positions that were cut earlier in response to the recession. These jobs tend to be the "lower paying" ones within IT’s infrastructure.
The CEO of Janco, Victor Janulaitis said, “There definitely are some positive signs in the IT employment market. Companies are starting to fill positions that are open in support functions and where there are critical needs. " He added, “The flood gates have not yet been opened for general hiring as CIOs are still being cautious in keeping cost down while trying to improve overall service levels. ”
Janco says that the rate of job losses in Telecommunication and Data Processing and Hosting has continued to decelerate. The implication is that if the recovery continues, then there may be positive job growth in those sectors in the not too distant future. Janco estimates that positive job growth in these sectors will be seen by the first quarter of 2012.
IT Job Market Employment Gains
There has been a steady increase in the number of overall employment for IT related jobs. For the last few months the number of individuals employed in IT has increased by 7,300 in March; 9,100 in April; 10,000 in May; and 45,800 in the last 12 months.
Health Care vs. Financial Services Job Growth
Employment is on the rise in Healthcare IT and spending will reach $40 billion by the end of this year. Much of that growth will come from spending on electronic health record (EHR) systems, mobile health applications and efforts to comply with new government standards. Boosted by increased spending on healthcare software -- which is needed for the rollout of EHR systems -- the U.S. healthcare IT market is expected to grow at a rate of about 24% per year from 2012 to 2014, the study said. Spending on healthcare software rose 20.5% in the past year, from $6.8 billion in 2010 to a projected $8.2 billion this year. Recent mergers and acquisitions in the healthcare IT market also point to growing private-sector interest in software, which will see sales grow at rate of more than 30% annually from 2012 to 2014.
For more information go to IT Job Market
Versions of the IT Resource Hiring Kit
IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Latest IT Salary Survey - The salary survey draws on data collected throughout the year via extensive Internet-based survey instruments and completed survey forms from businesses throughout the United States and Canada. The survey data reflects IT salaries in 78 major cities in the United States as well as 23 cities in Canada. Summary data is provided in both the PDF document and a separate Excel Spreadsheet.
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (PDF) The job descriptions are provided as a 206 page indexed PDF document for all of the positions surveyed. The PDF file can be viewed and printed.
- Interview and Hiring Guide (WORD and PDF) Includes two electronic forms (Background Check Authorization and Interview Questionnaire) and two full job descriptions (Manager Human Resources and Human Resources Specialist).
IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Standard Edition
- Salary Survey Job Descriptions (Word) The IT job descriptions are provided as 73 individual word files using long file names.
IT Hiring Kit - Gold Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Job Descriptions (Word and eReader) The 310 Job Descriptions have been extracted from Janco's Internet IT and Position Descriptions HandiGuide™. Each job description has a copyright date of . - Includes all of the positions in the IT Salary Survey.
IT Hiring Kit - Platinum Edition
- IT Hiring Kit - Silver Edition
- Internet and IT Positions Description HandiGuide™(PDF) The Internet and IT Position Descriptions HandiGuide™ over 900 plus pages; which includes sample organization charts, a job progression matrix, and 310 job descriptions. The book also addresses Fair Labor Standards and the ADA. Also included are tools to help you expand, evaluate and define your enterprise's unique additional required. Those tools include:
- Job Evaluation Questionnaire
- Position Description Questionnaire
- Job Progression Matrix (Job Family Classifications)
- Candidate Interview Control Log