Have an outline in place (and follow it) for each interview in order to put all candidates on an even playing field
Before an interview, the interviewer needs to prepare: they need to know what the job is that is being filled, what the the requirements are of the candidate; and what questions need to be answered before an offer can even be discussed.
Anyone conducting an interview should be aware of questions that get to the heart of the candidates abilities and how they would fit in the role. For project manager questions could be:
- How do you determine the budget? The answer should include creation of a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure), adding that to the EMV (Expected Monetary Value of risk - or risk reserve) plus initiation and planning costs, plus multiplying the number of weeks in the critical path by the weekly project management classes, team training costs, recruitment costs and procurement Capacity planning should be examined to determine the effect of non productive time, holidays and time off.
- How do you determine the schedule? This answer should include the WBS as adjusted by capacity planning plus determination of the critical path from the network diagram. This number should be adjusted by the ETV (Expected Time Value) of risk.
- How do you monitor and report status? Metrics should be discussed - such as the CPI (Cost Performance Index), SPI (Schedule Performance Index), ETC (Estimate to Complete), EAC (Estimate at Completion) and BV (Budget Variance. If they simply use red, green or yellow colors - they have no clue as to how the project is performing.
As a base to create these question like these for any position, you can use the following TOP 10 questions that Janco has found are used by the best recruiters:
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
- Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
- How do you evaluate success?
- Why are you leaving or have left your job?
- Why do you want this job?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your goals for the future?
- What makes you the best fit for our organization?