Sensitive Information Policy
Updated to meet the latest mandated standards
Includes a definition of what sensitive information is
Electronic Sensitive Information Policy Compliance Agreement Form Included for Easy Depolyment of Policy
Includes User Bill of Rights for Sensitive Data and Privacy
With identify theft and cyber attacks on the rise, you're facing new pressures to protect sensitive information. In fact, in 46 states have now passed data security laws that apply to companies that do business with residents of those states. These laws are designed to protect residents against identity theft by mandating security practices
- Implementing an information security program
- Encrypting data
- Notifying customers in the event of a security breach that compromises unencrypted personal information
To protect sensitive information, many states are now required to implement security programs that include capabilities for incident monitoring and alerting, trend reporting, logging, security information management (SIM), and other prudent security controls and practices.
The Massachusetts and California mandated requirements were specifically included as part of the policy.
This policy applies to the entire enterprise, its vendors, its suppliers (including outsourcers) , co-location providers, and facilities regardless of the methods used to store and retrieve sensitive information (e.g. online processing, outsourced to a third party, Internet, Intranet or swipe terminals).
The HIPAA Audit Program Guide provides you with a checklist of the must be implemented items which HIPAA mandates. (see also Nationalized ID)
You can download the Table of Contents and some sample pages by clicking on the link below.
The policy contains text that can be used immediately. For example::
General Policy Statement
The Chief Security Officer or delegate must approve all processing activities at ENTERPRISE associated with sensitive information. This information includes but is not limited to social security numbers, credit card numbers, credit card expiration dates, security codes, passwords, customer names, customer numbers, ENTERPRISE proprietary data, and any other data (i.e. California Personal ID number) that is deemed to be confidential by ENTERPRISE, its external auditors, any governmental agency, or other body that has jurisdiction over ENTERPRISE or its industry.
This policy applies to the entire enterprise, its vendors, its suppliers (including outsourcers) and co-location providers and facilities regardless of the methods used to store and retrieve sensitive information (e.g. online processing, outsourced to a third party, Internet, Intranet or swipe terminals).
All processing, storage and retrieval activities for sensitive information must maintain the strict access control standards and the Chief Security Officer mandates the these specific polices be followed.
The policies have just been updated to comply with all mandated requirements and include electronic forms that can be Emailed, filled out completely on the computer, routed and stored electronically -- a total solution.
We have just completed a major update of most of the individual polices and almost all of the electronic forms.
- CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle (All of the policies below are included as individual MS Word files and a single PDF file. Electronic forms are all individual documents that are easily modifiable)
- Backup and Backup Retention Policy
- Blog and Personal Web Site Policy (Includes electronic Blog Compliance Agreement Form)
- BYOD Policy Template (Includes electronic BYOD Access and Use Agreement Form)
- Google Glass Policy (Includes Google Glass Access and Use Agreement Form)
- Incident Communication Plan Policy (Updated to include social networks as a communication path)
- Internet, e-Mail, Social Networking, Mobile Device, Electronic Communications, and Record Retention Policy(Includes 5 electronic forms to aid in the quick deployment of this policy)
- Mobile Device Access and Use Policy
- Patch Management Policy
- Outsourcing and Cloud Based File Sharing Policy
- Physical and Virtual Server Security Policy
- Record Management, Retention, and Destruction Policy
- Safety Progam
- Sensitive Information Policy(HIPAA Compliant and includes electronic Sensitive Information Policy Compliance Agreement Form)
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) Policy Template with Metrics
- Social Networking Policy(includes electronic form)
- Telecommuting Policy(includes 6 electronic forms to effectively manage work at home staff)
- Text Messaging Sensitive and Confidential Information (includes electronic form)
- Travel, Electronic Meeting, and Off-Site Meeting Policy
- Wearable Device Policy
- IT Infrastructure Electronic Forms
Note: Look at the Practical Guide for Outsourcing over 110 page document for a more extensive process for outsourcing
Current Information Technology News
~~~ItemDescription~~~ - more info