Top 10 Staffing Concerns
CIOs' top 10 staffing concerns identified in 2016 IT Salary Survey
Top 10 staffing concerns that CIOs' have, based on survey conducted by Janco Associates are:
- Retaining existing staff – Many staff members have been reluctant to change jobs with the economy being as poor as it has been. As it improves and more opportunities present themselves IT professionals will be more conducive to leave their current jobs.
- Improving employee morale - Many organizations have focused on get more out of their employees during the recession and employee morale is not what it should be
- Adding new technical skills to staff - This typically is accomplished with new hires as well as specialized training for existing staff and use of outside contractors who have experience in new technical areas.
- Providing competitive compensation - Salaries for all employees have been constrained in the last few years. This needs to be corrected in manner that does not disrupt the organization in a negative manner.
- Maintaining and improving existing productivity and service levels – With the impending changes the IT organization needs to keep it "eye on the ball". Change can cause a loss of focus and IT service management could be compromised.
- Providing competitive benefits - General benefits and perks for all employees have been constrained in the last few years and employees have borne more of the cost (i.e. health insurance deductible and employee share of costs have gone up).
- Reducing employee burn-out – With the earlier focus on productivity and reducing costs many IT professionals have be working well in excess of 45 to 50 hours a week for several quarters.
- Managing organization culture – With the (hopefully) recovery IT organizations will have a new focus and direction. This in turn will result in organizational changes and impact the existing culture and environment.
- Providing viable career path - Employee mobility is a strong motivator and having good career paths is necessary to achieve this
- Utilizing social networking in the recruiting process - There is a new world out there and social media is now one of the components in the recruiting process.