CIO and CSO Security Concerns
CIO and CSO Security Concerns - Most Chief Information Officers and Chief Security Officers are concerned about security. There is good reason for this, we have found that when a "major" breach or incident occurs the CIO and CSO are the ones that take the brunt of the "blame" for the event. As a result, with 12 to 16 months those individuals are no longer in the roles they had.
Too many companies have found out the hard way that the most valuable assets they own are not their inventories, their petty cash drawer, or their company cars. Instead, the information about their business - payroll, customer records, sales prospects, business plans, patent applications - is the truly irreplaceable asset. Loss of a company's valuable information cannot be undone, and also often leads to significant damage to a company's reputation.
Without constant vigilance, companies are vulnerable to attack. A necessary step is to assess your current security stance, then make a plan to increase security with proper best practices and technologies.
When we recently did our analysis of the top 10 CIO and senior management concerns, security got the top spot. It was followed by cloud processing and IT Infrastructure, both of which have an impact in the overall security of the data and application assets of the company.
The top security management issues and metrics that we have found which address the security concern are:
- The dollar amount and percentage of the operational budget allocated to incident detection. Fully 30% of all organization do not have any budget at all allocated to this.
- Quality and availability of cyber-intelligence to use to monitor intrusions and minimize the number of false positives. We have found that on average organizations spend over $1,000,000 per year addressing false positives.
- Availability and quality of a dedicated response team that can immediately address the incident and take remedial steps to stopping the further damage.
- Availability and quality of additional staffing resources, both internal and external, to be able to "surge" to an incident as it is occurring. All of the budget in the world will not help if the CIO or CSO cannot get the right resources are not identified before the event occurs.
- Ability to have visibility to incidents as they are occurring. The worst case scenario is one in which an incident occurs and is not discovered for some time magnifying the extent of the damage.
- Lack of ability and resources to segregate suspicious traffic from normal activity. When this happens a company only know that an incident has occurred after it is made public by someone other than the IT or security team.
Security Manual Template is a necessary step to address these concerns
This Security Manual Template is over over 230 pages in length. All versions of the Security Manual template include both the Business & IT Impact Questionnaire and the Threat & Vulnerability Assessment Tool (both were redesigned to address Sarbanes Oxley and CobiT compliance). In addition, the Security Manual Template PREMIUM Edition contains 16 detail job descriptions that apply specifically to security and Sarbanes Oxley, ISO 27000 (ISO27001 and ISO27002),CobiT, PCI-DSS, and HIPAA. Data Protection is a priority.
Security Manual Template comes in MS WORD format and has been used by over 2,500 organizations world wide to create a base point for world class security management
Security Manual Template - Premium Edition - Includes the Security Manual template and Security Management job descriptions in MS WORD.
- Chief Security Officer (CSO)
- Chief Compliance Officer (CCO)
- VP Strategy - Architecture
- Director e-Commerce
- Database Administrator
- Data Security Administrator
- Manager Data Security
- Manager Facilities and Equipment
- Manager Network - Computing Services
- Manager Network Services
- Manager Training - Documentation
- Manager Voice and Data Communication
- Manager Wireless Systems
- Network Security Analyst
- System Administrator - Linux
- System Administrator - Unix
- System Administrator - Windows
Security Manual Template - Gold Edition - Includes the Security Manual templateand all 270 plus job descriptions from the Internet and IT Job Descriptions HandiGuide in MS WORD. NOTE this includes all of the job descriptions provided with in the Premiumn Edition.